Important windows, including panels from Steinfeld Abbey, have been cleaned and reinstated as part of a two-year campaign to restore the great hall of Blicking Hall (Norfolk), a mansion near Aylsham that was built in the seventeenth century and is now owned by the National Trust owned.
In 1820, the original great hall was enlarged. As part of the new scheme twelve sixteenth- and seventeenth-century windows were bought from John Christopher Hampp, the leading importer of and dealer in stained glass of the day [Fig. 1]. For further information, see our Special Supplement about the Steinfeld Abbey glass in Vidimus 35.