Barley Studio has recently completed the conservation and environmental protection of a famous early sixteenth-century window in the parish church of St Leonard, Middleton. The window, known variously as the Middleton Archers or the Flodden Window, was donated by Sir Richard Ashton in 1505 and depicts Sir Richard and his family, together with other donor figures, as well as his company of seventeen archers with their chaplain. The Middleton Archers were among those who helped to win a famous victory over the Scots in the bloody battle at Flodden Field in 1513. Each archer is armed with his quiver and bow, and individually identified with his name inscribed along the bowstave.
‘Middleton, Parish Church of St Leonard’, in P. Hebgin-Barnes, The Medieval Stained Glass of Lancashire, CVMA (GB), Summary Catalogue 8, Oxford, 2009, pp. 251–62